Katie had been sick Sunday - Tuesday morning this week with a headache, fever, and vomiting. By Tuesday evening she seemed fine, so we proceeded with our plans to go to the cabin at Snowshoe on Wednesday morning. There were several adults, several kids, and we went on the Tygart Flyer train on Thursday. It was a 4+ hour train ride up to the falls of Cheat River. Very nice, but tiring (I'll definitely post pictures later). Katie and Annie rode back to the cabin with my mom, both napping on the way.
When we all got back and were starting to prepare dinner, Katie said she was still sleepy and laid down upstairs. A short time later, I made her get up to eat, but she said she was too sleepy and laid down on the couch. I continued to wake her every so often and chide her, telling her that I wasn't going to be sympathetic when she was awake at 3 am, but then she said her head hurt and I let it go (though I still thought she was playing me). After we had attempted to start a fire and played a game of Clue, and the kids had been yelling and jumping all around her, I realized she had been asleep for over 5 hours amidst all of the chaos. I had difficulty waking her, and the only thing she would say was, "The lights are too bright." Her fever had also returned. I got her to sit up and told her to put her chin on her chest. I had to repeat it a couple times, but when she finally did it, she immediately said, "Ouch, my neck hurts!" This, of course, is a positive Kurnig's sign for meningitis. I medicated her with Tylenol, changed my shirt, and we were out the door for the 45 minute drive to the hospital in Elkins. I don't run to the doctor with my kids, but I was not fooling around with this one.
I had already begun anticipating the spinal tap which would be necessary to diagnose her and then the admission to the hospital. Actually, I was sure we would be transferred to a facility with better pediatric coverage, quite possibly Morgantown - and how was this going to affect the rest of my family with Chad being out of the country. I wasn't mindlessly fretting this, but preparing for it. On the way there, I climbed in the back with Katie while my mom drove. Katie was laying over on me and would not arouse when I said her name. She would only make mumbling noises when I pinched and poked on her. I was so scared that I really thought I was going to throw up.
So I called 3 people - the first 3 people that I knew would pray and would know who else to call. It wasn't an FYI phone call. It was an urgent request. And word spread and people prayed. Not half-hearted prayers to some unknown deity, but children asking their Heavenly Father for healing. Those who know God and are known by Him. I can almost visualize her name going up as couples sat together and prayed for Katie. It's a beautiful picture to me.
We arrived at the hospital, and I carried her in. The triage nurse took us right back and then placed us in a room immediately. Then Katie opened her eyes a bit, lay there still for a couple minutes, then started talking about her birthday party coming up. No joke. Just like that. She was suddenly alert and talkative. Eyes and mouth open! I kept looking at her in total surprise. Is she delusional now? I kept checking her pupils. Does your head hurt? I asked. Nope. No fever. Nothing. The doctor came in, found no reason for concern. Her white blood cell count was high normal, but normal. And we were discharged. She went back to the cabin, slept all night, and has been fine ever since.
I have reviewed that situation so many times. Did I over-react? I thought. Did I totally blow that one - waking a napping, grumpy kid to take her to the ER? The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that God directly intervened that night. I know my assessment was accurate and that she was a very sick little girl that evening. I even checked my phone. It was about 20 minutes after my last phone call that Katie started perking up - just long enough for the prayers to begin. That, my friend, was not a coincidence. That was a very attentive, powerful, loving God that showed me His hand.
The only thing I could pray after that was, "God, You are who you say you are, and you can do what you say you can do." I still find myself repeating that over and over again.
Word got around early the next morning that Katie was completely fine, and several people emailed or called me to basically say thanks for letting them be a part of God's blessing. No one was sorry that we woke them up (as far as I know!), but instead they praised God with us for His healing.
The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17



1 comment:
I love it that we serve a God who hears our prayers!
Post a Comment