Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Value of Money

Our older two kids have chores to do each day which enables them to earn a few dollars each week. Our policy is $1 per chore, chores must be completed each day, and you can only add another chore (thereby earning another dollar) when you can complete the chores you have regularly and without whining. In addition to that, they both have 3 banks: Buy, Keep, and Give. A portion of each earning must be deposited in each bank.

Okay, so that all sounds good. We really are trying to teach our kids a little something about good finances. However, I was reminded the other day that they just do not fully understand the value of money. I saw Aaron throwing away a wadded up $1 bill, and I asked ,"What are you doing?" He then explained that Katie couldn't find any paper to put her chewed gum in, so she put it in a dollar bill and he was throwing it away.

Maybe I should be happy that I don't have to clean chewed gum out of the cupholder of the car anymore - at least they've learned that lesson.

1 comment:

thesawhooks said...

HAHA...my dad once took my allowance away for 2 weeks when I threw pennies down in a parking lot. Never did it again! :)