Yes, that's a black snake, approximately 4 feet long, lying on the chair on the front porch. Now, I'm not naive enough to think that we live up in here in the woods with no snakes, but I just don't like to actually see them! I couldn't stop watching him as he slithered all around the outside of the window. A few minutes later he was in a different location:
He was going up and down the chain on my porch swing. This is what he was trying to get:
A bird's nest on top of the fan with baby birds!
As he was hanging on the chain, there were two birds hovering nearby and flapping around like crazy. Chad said, "I would be, too!" Then he asked if I had helped the birds. Nope, not me. The snake eventually left since he couldn't find a way to get to his prey.
I really thought about that a lot . Besides the fact that I couldn't get the image of that snake out of my brain, I also thought a lot about the baby birds. I compared them to my own babies. And I thought of Satan as the snake trying to prey on them. I'm probably a lot like the two birds flapping around, scared to death, but not really doing anything effective against the snake. And what about other people standing around watching our lives. Are they willing to fight with me? And just like the mommy bird built her nest where it could not be easily reached, am I raising my kids in a way that protects them from attack as much as possible?
I certainly don't spend enough time praying for the babies in my own nest. I also want as many people as possible to be my allies. As my children grow and spend less and less time with me, I want other protectors in their lives, people who love them enough to not just watch.
LORD, help me not to be lax when it comes to praying for and protecting my children. Help me to do all I can to guard them from the serpent that lies waiting for them. I'm blessed to have each of them and the opportunity to train them up in your Truth. And thanks that you are already on their side!



No comments:
Post a Comment