Saturday, February 28, 2009

games

Typically, Thursday and Friday are less hectic days for me, and Ben and I get to play together a lot more on those days. Unfortunately, sometimes I have to force myself to get in the floor instead of cleaning the kitchen or doing laundry. That should not be so - but it is. I am trying to be more intentional about play time with Ben because he often gets pulled into what ever activities the older kids are into at the time.

So, back to Thursday. First we worked 4 little 12-piece puzzles with a different construction vehicle on each one. He was upset that each puzzle was missing at least one piece, but they've been around for several years already. The pieces are probably in my couch somewhere - along with a lot of other stuff I don't want to think about. Next we played Guess Who? and Dora ABC - both modified to the abilities of a 2 year old. We worked another puzzle - a big 24 piece puzzle this time. After this, I finally caved in and agreed to Ben's favorite game: Hungry Hungry Hippos. Yes, the one with the little white marbles and the loud plastic hippos. My brother and sister-in-law graciously gave us this game a couple years ago for Christmas, apologizing as my children unwrapped it (thanks, Chad & Rachel)!! So, we played for several minutes and then the game ended as Ben proceeded to throw the marbles all over the family room. I found 2 more today while I was vacuuming!

Friday was similar but different. We played Hungry Hungry Hippos again with what marbles were recouped, and then we played kitchen. Ben poured me some yummy coffee from the water dispenser on the plastic refrigerator and then we both ate the same banana and french fries several times. Finally, we moved on to play with blocks as Annie got her chance at the same plastic yellow banana.

It may not have been the most productive day ever - and I didn't earn a single penny to put in the bank - but it was a lot of fun. I should have more days like that!

2 comments:

thesawhooks said...

That sounds like great fun! Good for you for taking the time out!!

Chad and Rachel Raynes said...

I (Rachel) would like to go on the record and place the blame on my Chad (sorry honey). I'm sure we have given several people loud obnoxious gifts and I am not eager to see what the payback is should we have our own! Sorry for the mess it caused :-)